I WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT
For people who have always struggled with their weight, it seems hard to imagine. But there are lots of followers asking me how they can put on some kilos. As you can guess, the solution is not to eat tons of desserts, they write to me because they want to gain weight the healthy way!
Reasons for wanting to gain weight include health issues, lack of appetite or simply skinny genes and in some cases of course challenging sports that require more muscle mass. Unfortunately, most people fall prey to unnecessary supplements and unhealthy junk food to put on weight. If you want to gain weight, you should choose healthy whole foods that are nutrient-dense and energy-dense over empty calories.
Here are a couple of foods that are packed with vitamins, minerals, nutrients and calories:
- Salmon and Tuna fish: They supply high omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA which play an important role in nerve and brain development and may also lower your risk of heart disease by decreasing cholesterol levels.
- Chicken: It is an excellent source of protein.
- Whole eggs: You may eat 1-2 two egg yolks together with up to 6 egg whites a day.
- Nuts and seeds: Raw almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanut butter, pumkin seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chia seeds.
- Dried fruits: They are more energy-dense than fresh fruits and are easy to carry everywhere.
- Brown pasta and rice: Pasta and rice provide you with energy, as well as fibres, vitamins and minerals.
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes: Lots of carbohydrates to fuel you with energy.
- Wholewheat and corn bread: They are packed with fibres which will help digestion and may lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Olive and canola oil: These are unsaturated fats which are considered healthy dietary fats.
- Oatmeal: One of the best carbohydrates you can eat.
- Cheese: Calcium, protein, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin A and B12 are all found in cheese.
- Beans and soybeans: An excellent source of vegetarian protein.
- Smoothie: Blend a banana with milk, yoghurt, peanut butter and oatmeal for a nutritious snack.
- Homemade granola: Because of the oatmeal and dried fruits, this is a high energy breakfast or snack, perfect before your workout.
- Yoghurt: You may eat full fat yoghurt since you want to put on weight.
- Protein Shakes: Athletes who want to bulk up, can drink a protein shake immediately after weight training to give muscles the necessary post-workout feel.
Try to eat six times a day and drink smoothies or protein shakes along with your meal. Since liquids can fill you up, avoid drinking water before eating so you have room for nourishing foods. Sprinkle nuts, seeds and dried fruits on top of your yoghurt, soup or salad – it tastes amazing and adds protein, fibres, healthy fats and calories to your meal!